Wikipedia

MaddieKittyTV
Posted: 26 Mar, 2019 03:09
Nathaniel Bandy Boom Striving For Originality

And Thank you kaze for Waluigi's Taco Stand

Poppers
Posted: 27 Mar, 2019 08:36
Last Edit: 27 Mar, 2019 11:35
Alright, I've got a basic plan for the achievements for this game.

Serve your first taco.

It's a key moment, so it gets a basic achievement.

Gain each taco rank (Enthusiast, Connoisseur and Professor).

Basic progression achievements. I'm not including Taco King, because getting this rank is basically the same as the following...

Pay your rent (Beat the game).

Again, another progression achievement.

Serve a successful taco under a certain time limit in all three main areas.

This will be three achievements: one for each area excluding the final one. This will also be open-ended: any taco in that area will work. The current working times are 30 seconds for the Taco Fields, 20 seconds for Taco Island and 50 seconds for Taco Canyon, which may be tweaked depending on feedback: whether they are too easy or too hard.

Serve a taco with nothing in it.
Serve a taco with everything EXCEPT what the customer asked for.

These are both pretty self-explanatory, just some fun achievements.

Serve the final taco "properly".

For context, the final level is a lava level, with only one order that asks for every ingredient. Since you can't die from taking damage in this game, you can just bounce on the lava to every segment of the level, instead of riding Plessie like you're seemingly supposed to. Because of this, I want to add an achievement that encourages proper behaviour. I don't want it to be super hard (mostly because Plessie is super glitchy and finicky), so the criteria will be extremely generous: something along the lines of getting hit no more than 30 times, just to make sure Plessie gets used and not necessarily that Plessie gets used well.

-

UPDATE ON CURRENT FRAMEWORK

There's a glitch with this hack: namely, on version 2.1 of Project64, the game crashes upon defeating a goomba. Due to this, RAP64 doesn't work both for playing and developing, even when the memory is adjusted and with the handful of settings I uncovered. I figured that finding an older version wouldn't work for the average player, and I still need to develop the achievements, so I have an alternate system in place.

Playing achievements works in RetroArch: while it doesn't natively detect .z64 files, they can be loaded with the 'Load Content' option and both N64 cores play them just fine and detect achievements. For development, I'm using BizHawk, because it has proper RAM search functionality and runs Waluigi's Taco Stand. However, this will be just for finding code notes, which I will import into RAP64 to create achievement logic and then have them played with RetroArch.

Obviously, this is very complicated but still works surprisingly well. The only issue is that debugging the achievement logic and Rich Presence is impossible past the first order, so promoting to Core to play through RetroArch is the only option I see.

-

11 achievements in total. As usual, please suggest any ideas or improvements, both for achievements and the beautiful mess that is the development framework for this game. Honestly, I tend to overcomplicate stuff like this, so please let me know if there's a better way. Thanks!

login

login to RetroAchievements:
User: 
Pass: 
or create a new account